Monday, March 18, 2013

Literacy in the Jungle: a family affair

Who would guess that long ago, in a land far, far away, a remote jungle people (the U*) would be reached with the Word of God, and begin to desire a way to read it for themselves? Who would guess that my great-uncle had a divinely-inspired answer to that need (and to many like it around the world) which is still bearing fruit today?  And further, what are the chances that I would join a team in March 2013 and meet a family who has been working with this same remote jungle tribe (the U*) for almost 70 years, using the tools that my great-uncle created?

The story goes something like this:
My great uncle is Rev. Robert Rice, and he and his wife Alice started the organization called LEI (Literacy Evangelism International) in 1967, and led it for many years. After Uncle Bob's death, his son Sid Rice took over the leadership of this organization and continues to this day. see this link for the complete story: LEI history.  The mission is to teach literacy through basic "primers" which demonstrate common objects/nouns, verbs and also provide simplified Bible lessons, all as a means of learning to read and write in the person's native language.  These primers have been translated into over 220 languages now, with missionaries in >40 countries.
Kathy working with the U* women on some advanced lessons
Enter Jerry and Kathy Manus, and their wonderful kids Ethan and Emma. The Manus family's involvement in Amazonas-Peru dates back several decades, when Ron & Phyllis Manus (Jerry's parents) began work with Wycliffe Bible Translators to translate the U* language into written form, and had translated the New Testament.  I think (if I have the story right) he and his wife spent ~50 years with this people, and then they handed the baton to Jerry and Kathy to continue this work. Jerry and Kathy joined LEI 19 years ago and were in Iquitos, Peru when my Uncle Bob Rice went there to help write the first primer for the U* language.  Their work continues to this day, and has joined with the work of Renew Ministries, with whom I went for the U*'s yearly meeting at Aurora 2 weeks ago. It was wonderful to see in action this work I have heard about for years in our family! 
The story continues for the U*, who have now witnessed that women actually can read.  Two years ago the leaders of their community believed this was not possible, but were willing to see if they were wrong.  Turns out they were, and women are reading... now even reading from the U* Bible, and helping to lead their people in some worship songs.  This was an amazing story, where seeds planted long before I was even born, are now growing into a beautiful tree of gospel-fruit, transformation of lives, and fulfillment of my Uncle Bob's and Ron Manus' dreams and prayers. I am honored to have witnessed this legacy of my family and the Manus family, and I marvel at the LORD's wisdom and might as He determines the times set for us and the exact places we should live. 

me, Kathy and Ron at their home in Iquitos

Jerry teaching several women at the Aurora Camp



















Two U* women leading their people in song!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an amazing story Kate. How wonderful and amazing that there is this 70 year family connection. I loved the picture of the U* worshipping.

Unknown said...

This is an amazing story Kate. How wonderful and amazing that there is this 70 year family connection. I loved the picture of the U* worshipping.