SO, i subdued the tomatoes in the garden, which was a challenge given their viney selves. and found some very large zucchini.
and then set to work slaying the vines and trees that the "wildflower patch" had become. this ended up being a 3 hour ordeal involving shovel, shears, a lot of sweating and dirt. i discovered pumpkins, volunteer tomatoes (underneath the jungle) and a few, very few flowers. and my cat. Kemba.
The result of my labors:
3 pumpkins (from one plant, apparently part of the "wildflower mix"), 6 very small but red and ripe Roma tomatoes, one stalk of Zinnias, one yellow-flowered plant, Kemba and a HUGE pile of ... weeds!
i also found a cantalope in the true garden. so i ate it for dinner. with three of the small red ripe roma tomatoes.
Lessons learned:
- don't plant the "wildflower blend"
- put the tomato cages up when the plants first go in the garden
- don't get behind on weeding
- Illinois earth is very fertile?
- i still have a lot to do for the "year of the yard"
6 comments:
If it makes you feel better, we got notice last week that, unless we took care of the weed problem along the alley behind our back fence, we would be subject to fines ranging from $50-750/day.
Ahhh Morton.
Well done, Kate, well done.
I, too, have planted the wildflower blend along my back fence. Unfortunately it didn't produce any pumpkins or tomatoes. I guess you're lucky!
Whoa. Kemba's a big guy!
Hello Kate glad to hear you made it back all in one peice and no worse for the wear. I must confess i have not reead all you entries but as I know you I am sure it was an amazing adventure. I am only slightly jealous. But all in God's timing right! Wish you all the best,
Clare
haha i feel like that was my fault! lol...but we weren't sure which were the things you actually wanted, and which were actually weeds.....
oh well....sounds like a fun day of yard time!
Post a Comment