Saturday, February 04, 2006

my first "turno"

In the States we call this "being on call". Well no matter how you call it, it usually involves a lot of hours at the hospital, not much sleep, and needing a day to recover afterward. I had no idea how I'd fare with this first "turno" in a different language, limited hospital resources and diseases/conditions I've never encountered in my brief medical experience.
The way it works here is that the interns (4th year medical students) see each patient first, evaluate them in the ER and then start deciding what needs to be done while consulting with the resident on call. It could also include being called in the middle of the night (la mitad de la noche) for emergency surgery or anything. I live close enough to the hospital that I go home and keep the phone beside my bed, half sleeping, expecting to be called. I'll have a total of 6 turnos, one of those coming next weekend both Saturday and Sunday.
So yesterday/last night, I had a steady stream of patients to evaluate (only about 5 from afternoon until 12:30 am)... and of course here all things take more time.
1. an 8 month old girl who had just had a seizure but was doing fine. Her mother kept saying they didn't have "plata" (money) to see the neurologist in Quito (5 hours and $5 by bus if the buses can get through the land-slide-prone road...). So we gave her some anti-seizure medication to start and insisted she return to the clinic next week.
2. a 45? year old man with sinusitis and a rough throat
3. a 15 year old gal with abdominal pain for 8 days and fever. No diarrhea, no vomiting, but no appetite. The 35+ man who was with her I discovered was her husband. I was just about to try to ask some more sensitive questions (how in Spanish I'm not sure yet...) when the resident came swooping in and got right to the point ... are you pregnant? The test that came back about an hour later revealed the answer: YES. And it showed she had a pretty bad urinary tract infection. They live "adentro" ... meaning in the jungle, more or less.
4. a 41 year old woman came in with her husband who knew nothing of her history because they've been separated, except that she was in the hospital in another city for 3 months with "sickness of her brain"... and that since then she doesn't talk normally, not much more than "yes/no/I can't/I don't know" . And earlier she had had an "ataque" (attack...) of some sort. This sketchy history was confounded by the odd physical findings - some weakness, confusion, and as I listened to her heart, it was very irregular and her oxygen saturation was low as well. She had an elevated white blood count indicating infection - but we don't know where. We ended up admitting her with our list of possibilities being very long. And this morning we still don't know what her difficulty is. We only have so many tests available here.
5. and at 12:00 midnight, an 11 year old boy was brought in by his dad because of leg pain for 2 hours. Dad was worried that he was going to get the same condition as his cousin who has a ? – a degenerative muscular or neurologic condition due to which he doesn't walk now. The boy was happy, strong, walked fine... and on a bit more questioning, he had been playing a lot of soccer lately. So I tried to explain 'growing pains' to this Ecuadorian man and assure him that his son was completely fine. We gave them some Tylenol anyway.

and no calls en la mitad de la noche.

No comments: